Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Internal Number: REQ-021231
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
The Billing Specialist performs a variety of functions within the billing process, in a timely and efficient manner, that includes statements, correspondence, refunds, denials, re-bills, collections, and customer service. These functions may be performed using manual/paper processes or electronically.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Medical coding (ICD-10, CPT, HCPC) knowledge preferred
- Medical claim filing and processing knowledge preferred, including electronically
- Minimum one (1) year office experience required, preferably in a medical billing environment
- Experience and proficiency with accounting software, PC computer including word processing and spreadsheets, and 10-key calculators
- Strong math, analytical, and data entry skills required
- Strong problem-solving and decision making skills required
- For hospital settings, additional requirements may apply and change without notice, including, but not limited to, criminal background check, health clearance and hospital compliance training
- Successfully pass Company pre-employment drug test and periodic and random thereafter
- Demonstrated and proven ability/experience in accomplishments in all of our five core values:
Under direct supervision, and in accordance with Company policies, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Prepares, verifies, electronically submits or mails periodic billing statements to customers/clients in a timely manner ensuring accuracy in data
- Electronically sends out patient statement files to POH as applicable
- Processes payments to customer accounts ensuring accuracy
- Reconciles and posts electronic payments from insurance carriers as applicable
- Investigates and resolves rejected/denied claims and resubmits for payment to insurance provider and/or patient
- Reviews and responds to correspondence in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Provides customer service regarding billing/pricing issues/questions
- Responds to and resolves issues for customers in a timely and efficient manner
- Performs sorting, filing, typing, photocopying and data entry as required
- Performs account collection activities as required
- Assists in the preparation of reports as required
- Balances un-posted daily cash reports as applicable
- Acts as backup for handling incoming calls
- Adheres to confidentiality, safety, compliance, and legal requirements
- Maintains consistent and reliable attendance and complies with company guidelines on attendance
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Occasional carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects; and lifting of up to 20 lbs may be required
- Occasional reaching, stopping, bending, kneeling, and crouching
- Frequent prolonged standing/sitting/walking
- Must be able to see, hear, and respond adequately
- Extensive computer work
- Frequent use of telephone
- Air conditioned office
- Subject to electrical and radiant energy hazards
- Sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distractions
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals
- May be asked to work occasional irregular or extended hours
- Perceive pertinent details and verbal or tabular material
- Ability to see things from the customer's/patient's point of view and respond in a timely appropriate and courteous manner
- Handle emergency situations with calmness and professionalism
- Ability to work effectively with others and promotes positive working relationships
- Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately
- Understand meaning of words, ideas associated with them and their effective use
- Understand instructions, reason, and make judgments
- Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy required
- CUSTOMER-FOCUSED: Aware of customer needs; makes decisions with customer in mind; builds strong customer relationships.
- COMMUNICATOR: Proactively conveys a clear, convincing, and timely message; possesses strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Uses data and logic to quickly find solutions to difficult challenges.
- BUSINESS SAVVY: possesses business and organizational know-how; understands how to accomplish tasks through formal channels and informal networks.
- RESOURCEFUL: Knows how to get what is needed; manages time and workloads for maximum efficiency.
- QUALITY CONSCIOUS: Delivers accuracy and precision in work products; mindful of technical requirements, rules, and standards.
- TIME-WISE: Prioritizes; respects others' time; adheres to schedules and agendas.
- COLLABORATIVE: Works effectively with others to accom
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
1st Shift (United States of America)
Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, LLP
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.