Location: New York, New York
The people of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) are united by a singular mission: ending cancer for life. Our specialized care teams provide personalized, compassionate, expert care to patients of all ages. Informed by basic research done at our Sloan Kettering Institute, scientists across MSK collaborate to conduct innovative translational and clinical research that is driving a revolution in our understanding of cancer as a disease and improving the ability to prevent, diagnose, and treat it. MSK is dedicated to training the next generation of scientists and clinicians, who go on to pursue our mission at MSK and around the globe. One of the world's most respected comprehensive centers devoted exclusively to cancer, we have been recognized as one of the top two cancer hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report for more than 30 years.
In compliance with applicable State regulatory authorities, COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all MSK staff. Staff are considered fully vaccinated upon completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19 (i.e., one dose of a single dose vaccine or a final dose of a multi-dose vaccine series). Exceptions from the COVID-19 vaccine requirement are permitted for those who request and receive an approved medical or fully remote exemption. Requests for medical exemption can take up to two weeks to review. Vaccination or an approved medical exemption is required to start work.
*Staff working at a MSK New Jersey location must be up to date with COVID-19 vaccination, which includes having completed the primary COVID-19 vaccination series and booster once eligible as mandated by New Jersey State. All New Jersey staff not yet eligible for a booster must receive a booster within 3 weeks of becoming eligible as a condition of continued employment at MSK.
Note: Individuals are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster two months after completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19. Because vaccine-induced immunity can wane over time, MSK continues to strongly urge all staff to get a COVID-19 booster as soon as they become eligible to maintain their protective immunity for a longer period.
Do you want to join an innovative team and contribute to cancer research? Are you creative and interested in solving meaningful problems? Then join us here at MSK! We can provide you with the opportunity to make a difference in your career. We believe that this is a great role for someone who is inquisitive and wants to be a part of a dynamic team.
MSKCC is searching for an outstanding computational data scientist with an interest in developing and applying bioinformatic/quantitative methods to problems in translational cancer biology. You should have a proven background in both bioinformatics and cancer biology to lead and assist in state-of-the-art genomics analysis.
You will use state-of-the-art analysis methods to review large-scale data sets in many areas (for ex: genomics data, including whole-genome sequences, metagenomes, bulk RNA-Seq, ATAC seq, metabolomics, methylation arrays, RNA-se and single-cell) in groundbreaking research, including drug resistance, tumor plasticity, tumor evolution, metastasis, immunology, targeted therapies, clinical trial data, and computational biology.
- Collaborate with clinical and biological scientists to advance and execute hypothesis driven research
- Dive deeply into sequencing datasets and ask novel and clinically relevant questions
- Prepare and contribute to scientific manuscripts for publication in journals and conferences
- Collaborate with academic partners at other institutions
- Continue to research new developments in the field of computational biology and bioinformatics in order to apply these methods to new data sets
- Liaise with and collaborate with industry partners in biotech, health data, and big tech
- A science-focused individual with advancing computational and/or domain specific research questions; Someone with a deep curiosity about molecular and cell biology
- Excited by new datasets and the opportunity to look at data in new ways
- A strong communicator and collaborator with a team-oriented mindset able to effectively collaborate with clinicians, biologists, and engineers
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals
- A good decision-maker, capable of making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situations
- Master's, Ph.D., or equivalent in biological science, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, or Computer Science with emphasis on applications in molecular biology, or an equivalent level of non-academic experience
- Experience working with high throughput sequence data
- An understanding of principles behind contemporary computational techniques
- Strong programming skills and experience with scientific computing software and scripting languages
- Research experience in statistical genetics/genomics and familiarity with next-generation sequence data and analysis tools; cancer research is strongly preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; experience in delivering oral scientific presentations and writing scientific articles also strongly preferred
#LI-POST Hybrid, 4 days a week with 1 day remote .Location : 321 East 61st Street New York, NY
Are you ready to learn more about our Benefits?
Pay Range $96,800.00-$154,900.00
Please click to learn more about MSK's compensation philosophy.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.