Banner's Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) department has expanded it's practice beyond the traditional "Environment of Care" model and into a more mainstream EHS operation. The sub-departments within our EHS scope of responsibility includes Environmental Compliance, Industrial Hygiene, Employee Injury Prevention, Radiation Safety and Operational Safety.
Our EHS Specialist are involved in many types of audits both within the inpatient hospital setting as well as the outpatient ambulatory arena. Monitoring, investigating and assisting with employee injury mitigation is very common as are other types of safety investigation. As a professional team we are constantly working to educate and improve our knowledge and expertise in the many varying areas of compliance and safety. Within this very dynamic environment, we work with all levels of employees to ensure a structured Safety Program at each location - one day you can be working with line level leaders and the next be presenting metrics to the C-Suite team.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position assumes 24-hour responsibility for planning, directing and monitoring of a comprehensive environmental, health and safety program at multiple inpatient, outpatient and support facility locations. This position also evaluates, identifies, plans, coordinates, and leads system-wide and entity based employee/patient safety activities. This position actively communicates and works closely with identified internal/ external customers, regulatory inspectors and emergency event teams.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Facilitates compliance with local, state, federal regulatory and accrediting agencies (ADHS,OSHA, TJC, EPA, etc.) regarding environmental, patient and employee safety issues. Conducts regulatory compliance surveillance and tracks mitigation within inpatient, outpatient and support facilities. Is a regulatory compliance liaison during inspections and investigations. Remains current with regulations.
2. Conducts routine and ad hoc EH&S surveillance both in general and focused studies. Determines risk for exposure of harm/potential harm in response to identified opportunities. Assists in the determination of the level of containment/control required for: immediate harm, risk for harm in current process and future potential for harm. Analyzes findings and trends, formulates mitigation recommendations for administrative and clinical decision making. Conducts post mitigation audits insuring consistent and sustainable risk and loss reduction.
3. Performs operational administration of employee injury loss control and facility insurance incentive programs. Includes employee injury investigation, injury event analysis with recommendations,communication to stakeholders, reporting of trends, and compliance to loss control targets.
4. Assesses/investigates EH&S related events. Facilitates root cause analysis, reactive and proactive risk assessments, variation reduction and identifies improvements related to safety and prevention of harm through the use of process improvement methodologies and tools. Reports events to regulatory agencies as required.
5. Conducts investigation, surveillance and the coordination of resources for industrial hygiene concerns, hazardous materials and waste management, hazardous or potentially hazardous spill management, environmental permit management, construction/renovation/maintenance safety risk, and other material/event related risks. Maintains training and certifications appropriate to these events and participation in ICS activation.
6. Participants in the development and implementation of standardized EH&S practices at system and facility levels. Assists with development and implementation of the Patient Safety Plan, Environmental Safety Management Plan, Hazardous Materials Management Plan and employee safety activities.
7. Develops standards to measure performance and improvements in accordance with the regulatory agencies and Banner targets. Presents data, deficiencies identified during surveillance/monitoring, and the status of implementation/mitigations to key stakeholders, leadership and identified committees. Maintains an ongoing monitor or organizational risk within the areas of responsibility.
8. Serves as a safety officer and subject matter expert on internal and external EH&S matters. Collaborates with system and facility teams: care management teams, clinical discipline teams, facility leadership, risk management, and other groups as appropriate. Develops and coordinates training and education of employees, physicians, students, and third party personnel on EH&S issues. Participates in research, internships, preceptorship, and other associated activities. Promotes in all activities a culture of EH&S.
9. This position has system wide responsibility, as well as involvement in facility level compliance, employee, and patient safety activities. The role assesses, identifies, improves and advocates for EH&S and patient safety in situations with multiple competing priorities. This position functions autonomously and is responsible for education of leaders and staff system-wide on EH&S and patient safety matters. Provides ongoing communication to internal and external customers. Internal customers include but are not limited to: patients/family, leaders, physicians and employees. External customers include but are not limited to: insurers, accreditation/regulatory bodies, patients, families and the community.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a healthcare related field or industrial safety field, or equivalent experience in EH&S.
Requires a proficiency level typically attained with 3 years experience in healthcare and/or EH&S. Certification and/or experience with hazardous materials/waste management and knowledge and experience with employee occupational health programs. Participated in a minimum of 2 Joint Commission surveys or equivalent regulatory inspections. Knowledge of regulatory/accreditation criteria and the ability to research/interpret governmental code requirements. Requires ability to perform complex statistical analysis and highly developed problem solving skills. Requires the ability to manage programs and projects. Requires demonstrated excellence in interpersonal and written communication skills.
Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ), Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) or other EH&S certifications is preferred; Experience with government environmental compliance programs, safe patient handling programs and management of the environment of care. Possesses experience with process improvement concepts and tools, group facilitation, data management, and analysis including graphic development and presentations is highly desirable. Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R5883
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.