Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Shift: Day Hours: Varied
The Program Manager Drug Diversion will coordinate all aspects of the organization's diversion prevention program and provide oversight of controlled substance monitoring and surveillance activity as it relates to concerning or suspicious practices potentially resulting in the diversion of these substances from the organization and or patients. This position will be responsible for regulatory, legal, and licensing body reporting requirements related to the mishandling and diversion of controlled substances by employees. The individual will follow guidelines recommended by professional organizations guiding drug diversion prevention strategies, including providing recurrent education to organizational employees as applicable .
Responsibilities include the following:
* Analyze controlled substance use, discrepancy, and trending reports to identify suspicious patterns of use consistent with potential diversion events.
* Lead complex diversion investigations in collaboration with other hospital disciplines.
* Collaborate with operational leaders to review reports/events (see #1 above) and assure completion of agreed upon action items.
* Monitor compliance throughout the organization with controlled substance policies and practices.
* Create, design, develop, and deliver organizational drug diversion education programs.
* Collaborate with the organization's human resources department and hospital leadership to develop strong policies to protect employees and mitigate employee diversion risks.
* Work with local, state, and federal law enforcement organizations during criminal investigations, as well as with state licensing agencies and national accrediting organizations.
* Lead the organization's Controlled Substance Diversion Prevention Task Force.
* Routinely evaluate controlled substance policies and practices to identify potential gaps compared to best practices.
* Design and lead the Implement of new prevention and detection strategies that align with best practices.
Doctor of Pharmacy or Bachelor's Degree in Pharmacy required.
4 to 6 years of clinical/management experience as a registered pharmacist required.
Active and valid Pennsylvania Pharmacist license or eligibility required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
Ability to manage time and meet deadlines.
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
Attention to detail skills.
Autonomous and critical thinking skills.
Ability to analyze data and trend reports over time.
Ability to conduct thorough investigations of events.
Extensive computer skills, including Excel, Word and experience with the implementation of new software.
Knowledge of medication management systems and technologies (automated dispensing cabinets, etc.), pharmacy operations (e.g. ordering, receiving, storage, distribution, administration, returns, wasting), and other hospital areas (i.e.perioperative,
anesthesia, procedural areas, clinics, etc.).
Familiar with national, state, and local drug abuse and diversion trends.
Master's degree preferred.
Previous leadership experience preferred.
Experience in a hospital setting preferred.
F amiliarity with the causes, symptoms, recognition, and treatment of drug addiction and human behavioral assessment preferred.
Penn State Health Offers an exceptional benefit package including but not limited to:
* Generous Paid Time Off and Personal Time
* Medical Benefits (No waiting period)
* Dental and Vision Benefits
* 75% Penn State University Tuition Discount (Full-Time Employees)
o This benefit extends to dependents after one year
* Matching 401K retirement plan
ABOUT PENN STATE HEALTH:
P enn State Health is one of the leading teaching and research hospitals in the country. It is a multi-hospital health system, Academic Medical Center and Level 1 adult and pediatric trauma center serving patients and communities across Central Pennsylvania. The system includes Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Penn State Children's Hospital, and Penn State Cancer Institute in scenic Hershey, PA. Penn State Health shares an integrated strategic plan and operations with Penn State College of Medicine.
ABOUT CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA:
We are proud to possess a vibrant downtown area which affords exceptional cultural opportunities including the Hershey and Harrisburg Orchestras, museums, a highly rated amusement park, the Hershey Theater, farmer's markets and some of the finest dining in the region. We are an easy distance from the Fulton Theater, York Little Theater, Lancaster's Amish country, and walkable towns like Hummelstown and Lititz.
For the outdoors enthusiast, we have ample opportunities for hiking, biking, rowing, and hunting. For sports lovers, we are home to the American Hockey League's Hershey Bears, the Minor League Baseball's Harrisburg Senators, and the United Soccer League's Penn FC. Central Pennsylvania is an exceptional combination of rural, suburban, and city living is within a 2-hour drive to weekend destinations such as Philadelphia, Washington DC, Annapolis, and Baltimore, and only a 3-hour drive from New York City.
If chosen for this position, you may be required to pass a Post Offer Employment Physical Exam in accordance with the measurements listed in the Work Task Analysis (WTA) report. This job description is a general outline of duties performed and is not to be misconstrued as encompassing all duties performed within the position. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position's responsibilities.
Penn State Health is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is unapologetically expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please call 717-531-8440 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Eastern Standard Time, Monday - Friday, email firstname.lastname@example.org or download our Accommodation Instructions for Job Applicants PDF for more detailed steps for assistance.
Union: Non Bargained
Internal Number: 17621
About Penn State Health
At Penn State Hershey, our mission is to enhance the quality of life and serve our community through improved health, the education of health professionals, and the discovery of knowledge. For us, service excellence is not only for our patients but also our employees. It means valuing each and every employee.