The mission of the Public Health Laboratory is to safeguard the health of all New York City residents by providing quality laboratory testing services that address the needs of the NYC DOHMH and its community partners to prevent and respond to clinical and environmental public health concerns. This is an excellent opportunity to join our team and continue to make history at the world's first municipal public health laboratory. The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Bureau of Public Health Laboratory is seeking to hire a Chief of Health and Safety.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
* Conduct and assist with laboratory safety related research projects and run queries, generate reports and analyze data related to safety
* Supervise staff participating in laboratory safety related activities and coordinate research projects related to health safety
* Perform biosafety risk assessments and creates meaningful safety metrics
* Conduct biosafety inspections and ensures compliance with local, State and Federal regulations
* Coordinate safety related outreach with partner laboratories
* Develop, oversee and perform safety related trainings
* Maintain chemical hygiene program
* Provide guidance on handling of infectious agents and specimens.
* Assist partners within the Agency as well as local and federal partners on public health investigations
* Perform or oversee the design and maintenance of charts, logs, and other records, and prepares complex reports
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health. To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have: 1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or 2. A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization.
Management experience leading a safety unit.
Familiarity with clinical laboratory diagnostic testing procedures.
Familiarity with current laboratory safety guidance and applicable State and Federal regulations.
Compliant with trainings for RCRA and hazardous waste regulations.
Possess OSHA Hazwoper certification.
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID #409623
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Health Department is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and culturally responsive workforce. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, age, prior record of arrest; or any other basis prohibited by law.
The New York City Health Department is known around the world as a center of bold innovation. With over 200 years of leadership in the field, we're also one of our nation's oldest public health agencies. The challenges we face range from obesity, diabetes and heart disease to HIV/AIDS, tobacco addiction and substance abuse, and the threat of bioterrorism. We're tackling these issues with innovative policies and programs – and getting exceptional results – but our work is never finished. Your NYC Health career brings big responsibilities and unparalleled opportunities for growth.