Responsible for the delivery of quality, cost effective, compassionate laboratory services and accountable for providing leadership and management of their given area of responsibility. Participates in first line position activities and tasks as necessary. Provides direct supervision and mentorship to first-line caregivers including, hiring, training and development and performance evaluation. Maintains accreditation readiness. Develops and implements performance improvement projects and monitors.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
1) Identifies the need for improvements within an area of responsibility and assists in their implementation and provides input to the Manager regarding the need to restructure systems, workflows and reporting relationships within a specific area of responsibility.
2) Delegates clear responsibility, accountability and authority to meet mutually agreed upon expectations to first line caregivers.
3) Drafts policies/procedures which enhance daily operations within a specific area of responsibility and ensures consistency of application.
4) Participates in the selection, hiring, scheduling, counseling, teaching, training, coaching, disciplining, recognition and promotion of first line caregivers and provides input to the Director and/or Manager concerning the termination of first line caregivers.
5) Monitors daily individual performance and resource utilization and is accountable for the results. Conducts formal performance appraisals of first line caregivers.
6) Determines the development needs and training opportunities of first line caregivers and advises the Director and/or Manager regarding appropriate growth opportunities.
7) Monitors daily Quality, customer satisfaction and service utilization and initiates short term corrective actions as needed. Participates in and supports the Quality Improvement program.
8) Investigates any unusual incidents involving staff and other department Caregivers and takes necessary action.
9) Participates in the development of section budgets.
10) Serves as a role model for consistent demonstration of Sparrow Health System’s Customer Service Behavioral Standards of Performance, by respecting the Privacy and Confidentiality of those we serve.
11) Demonstrates knowledge and respects patient, service provider, organizational confidentiality and HIPAA Security procedures and protocols as defined under the HIPAA Privacy and Security Procedures.
12) Follows established HIPAA privacy procedures when using and/or disclosing protected health information.
13) Maintains and protects patients’ rights under the HIPAA Privacy Standards.
14) Maintains documents and records in a constant state of readiness for accreditation inspections.
*Demonstrates knowledge and maintains and respects patient right to privacy by following the HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and procedures. *Adheres to ICARE values and standards of behavior (Innovation, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence). *Role model behaviors that value the diversity of our caregivers, patients and customers and supports creating an environment that is inclusive, welcoming and respectful. *Adheres to established best practices (i.e. Rounding, Thank You Notes, AIDET, etc.). *Demonstrates commitment to safety by establishing an environment in which safety issues are promptly reported and appropriate actions are taken. *Adheres to policies and procedures designed to avoid, prevent and reduce the spread of communicable diseases.
*Knowledge of CAP, ISO, JC and Compliance standards.
*Master’s Degree in a related scientific field or bachelor’s degree in medical technology or related scientific field and one year of experience in a clinical laboratory with increasing responsibility *ASCP certified as a Specialist in Blood Banking, SBB(ASCP).
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
*Demonstrate resource development skills. *Systems analysis skills. *Demonstrated ability in problem identification and resolution *Excellent communication skills, both written and oral. *College level course work in management/business. Preferred. *Previous laboratory supervision. Preferred.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.