Risk Management Coordinator – Risk Management – East Orlando
Florida Hospital seeks to hire Risk Management Coordinator who will embrace our mission to extend the healing ministry of Christ.
Established in 1908, Florida Hospital is one of the largest not-for-profit healthcare systems in the country, caring for more than a million patients each year. The 2,286-bed acute-care medical facility, comprised of eight hospitals, has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best hospitals in the country for the past 10 years. It serves as a community hospital for Greater Orlando and as a major tertiary referral hospital for Central Florida and much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and Latin America.
The Risk Management Department is responsible for multiple activities aligned with Florida Hospital’s mission and vision. These activities include: (1) the maintenance of and tracking from FH’s Event Reporting system in compliance with Florida Statutes, (2) the identification and reporting of adverse events to the Agency for Health Care Administration, (3) the identification and investigation of Sentinel Events, (4) the facilitation of Sentinel Event Root Cause Event Teams, (5) the reporting of pertinent data for compliance with corporate indicators and dashboards, (6) the receipt and facilitation of formal Patient Grievances, (7) the prevention of claims (8) the identification and reporting of potential claims to Adventist Health System Risk Management, (9) the management of the internal claims process, (10) the coordination of legal correspondence and responses to attorney requests, (11) the provision of support to staff and administration regarding medical/risk/legal/ethical matters, (12) the investigation of events which include sexual accusations against FH employees, and (13) the identification of strategies designed to reduce the annual number of incidents with injury and hospital professional liability claims. The Risk Management data is in alignment with the established Patient Safety Organization.
Full Time: Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm
The Risk Management Coordinator (RMC) is responsible for identifying and reducing risks to Florida Hospital (FH), its physicians, staff, visitors and patients. The RMC ensures all Risk Management activities, including the internal event report system and patient grievance process are in compliance with FL State Statute 395.0197. The RMC facilitates the Sentinel Event process. The RMC facilitates regulatory surveys and/or legal investigations as they pertain to complaints against FH. The RMC identifies potential compensatory events and works collaboratively with claims management coordinators to prevent litigation. The RMC will participate in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
- Registered Nurse, Respiratory Therapist, or other clinical professional, and three to five years clinical experience in a healthcare-related field, OR
- Three to five years of experience in risk management or claims field
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Understanding of medical terminology and technology, medical procedures/treatments, their usual risks, and expected outcomes
- Understanding of conflict resolution and grievance management techniques
- Basic knowledge of federal legislation and state statutes relevant to Risk Management and patient safety activities
- Understanding of the claims/litigation prevention and management process
- Ability to prioritize a diverse workload and possess the ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Proficient in computer software programs utilized in the department
- Bachelor’s degree in health care related field (Preferred)
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required:
- Active Florida license as a Health Care Risk Manager (Preferred)
- Active Florida license as a Registered Nurse (Preferred)
Demonstrates through behavior, Florida Hospital’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program.
- Serves as a resource to hospital administration, other employees, and physicians on Risk Management / legal / ethical issues, including off-hour and holiday coverage as needed. Without active Florida Health Care Risk Manager License, will not serve as Risk Management Administrator on-call, nor work on Root cause Analysis as stated in number 7 below.
- Responsible for review, investigation, and processing of the internal event report system for assigned area, in compliance with Florida Statute 395.0197.
- Monitors, analyzes, and reports aggregated event report data to the Risk Management Director and assigned hospital leaders, with a focus on risk exposures for trends or patterns.
- Manages the identification, investigation, resolution and prevention of patient care-related grievances per established patient grievance protocol in compliance with CMS.
- Facilitates regulatory surveys and/or legal investigations as they pertain to complaints against FH.
- Performs as the facilitator at patient/family conferences with physicians and other hospital staff to assist in conflict resolution.
- Facilitates the processing of Sentinel Events through the Root Cause Analysis (RCA) process. Compiles and reports Risk Reduction Strategies appropriately in an effort to prevent similar occurrences.
- Develops educational in-services for employees and/or physicians on pertinent Risk Management issues as identified through tracking and trending of events and in accordance with regulatory agencies.
- Investigates and reports to the Director of Risk Management any occurrence which has the potential to give rise to a claim, per established protocol.
- Utilizes knowledge of Florida Hospital’s Patient Safety Evaluation System.
- Complies with CMS analysis and reporting requirements for patient deaths and restraint use.
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Risk Management Coordinator opportunity with Florida Hospital and apply online today.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY!!